Sunday, June 19, 2005

A few words for the day after 'Nosey' kicked Boney's butt.

Since yesterday, June 18, was the anniversary of the battle of Waterloo, I thought I would post some quotes from the great man himself, the Duke of Wellington. I cannot tell you how much I admire this great general who beat Napoleon Bonaparte on that day, and I am forever thankful to him for it.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com


The hardest thing of all for a soldier is to retreat.

I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me.

Nothing except a battle lost can be half as melancholy as a battle won.

All the business of war, and indeed all the business of life, is to endeavor to find out what you don't know by what you do; that's what I called 'guessing what was at the other side of the hill.'

It has been a damned serious business - Blücher and I have lost 30,000 men. It has been a damned nice thing - the nearest run thing you ever saw in your life...By God! I don't think it would have done if I had not been there.

Yes, and they went down very well too. - A retort to a comment on how very well French cavalry had come up at Waterloo.

Up, Guards, and at 'em.

The only thing I am afraid of is fear.

We always have been, we are, and I hope that we always shall be detested in France.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lady Siwan said...

Wonderful post, Lady Crystin! How unfortunate that I was not able to post anything about the Anniversary of Waterloo because I worked 14 1/2 hours that day! Goodness, it was 190 years ago! Wellington was a fabulous general!

5:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home